Lift depression – the human givens approach
Feeling depressed – tired, miserable, sad and uninterested in life for long periods – is a human vulnerability. It can happen to anyone. When it strikes it affects your sleep, physical health, sexual desire, power of concentration, thinking and ability to empathise with others. Typically depressed people wake up exhausted and unmotivated. The more severe these symptoms are the more difficult normal daily activities become and life begins to feel meaningless. On average, 15% of people who repeatedly sink into a depressed state have an increased risk of suicide.
This site contains vital information for a clear understanding of the cause of, and the most effective treatment for, this debilitating mental condition.
If you are currently suffering from depression and need practical and clear advice now, we recommend you read these pages first:
- What you can do immediately to feel better.
- Getting meaning back into your life;
- How to stop worrying;
- How to find a good therapist;
- Tips for better sleeping;
- The human givens: our needs and resources;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Recognising black and white thinking;
- Facts on depression.
If you are looking for more in depth general information about what depression is and how it is linked to the REM state, we recommend these pages:
- Depression myths;
- Causes of depression;
- Depression and REM sleep;
- Why depressed people dream more;
- Case histories;
- Find out more.
If you are looking to train to be a counsellor and help those with depression we recommend these pages:
- Psychotherapy Training
- How to Lift Depression: A Practical Day
- Stress Management Courses
- An Understanding of Depression Training Course
- From Self-Harm … To Self-Belief
- The Human Givens Diploma
This website is not affiliated with any pharmaceutical companies.